How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalEagle1 Your Own Question
LegalEagle1, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 794
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LegalEagle1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 2 charges of child endangerment without injury in Ia.

This answer was rated:

I have 2 charges of child endangerment without injury in Ia. It has been 6 years since I received the charges. Is it possible to have them expunged?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with your question today.
Before I can answer your question I need some additional information.

Were you convicted of the charges?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had a court appointed attorney and really wasn't given any information on the repercussions of this charge. I never spoke to the judge, I was left in a room while the attorney met with the judge. A guilty plea was entered and I received a fine and probation with a 180 day suspended sentence. I am currently finishing my degree in Human Services and I am afraid it is going to be completely useless.

Thank you for that additional information.

The only offenses in Iowa that are currently eligible for expungment are ones in which a deferred judgment was made prior to sentencing. What you are describing occurred does not seem consistent with this.

What I would suggest that you do is to contact the court where the charges were handled and obtain a copy of the court record, then make an appointment to see a criminal attorney who practices in that court and have them look at to make a determination. You may also want to contact the public defender who initially represented you and ask them what the outcome of your case was and if you are eligible for an expungement.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
LegalEagle1, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 794
Experience: Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
LegalEagle1 and 7 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX consistent with what I have been able to find online. Now I just need to find out if these charges will hinder my career choice. Thank you for your help.

You should check with licensing agency in your state to see what limitation you may face. Human services encompasses a broad range of careers so while some options may not be available others should still be.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You have been extremely helpful. Have a wonderful night!

Hi! I'm a professional here on Just Answers and wondered if your question has been answered or if you have further questions?
Your question is still viewable and so I want to know if you want further information on this or if you are satisfied with the one answer you accepted.? My question to clarify-you are very clear about what happened except you say "a guilty plea was entered" and its not clear to me if you entered your own guilty plea and if you know what you were pleasing to at that moment? I'd you understand everything that was happening?