LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
58185682

I moved from Apartment Community X to Apartment Community

I moved from Apartment Community X to Apartment Community Y few months ago.I did address change after moving to apartment Y.Today,I recieved,a mail (collection notice)which had a yellow USPS sticker which stated "Notify sender of address change" ,then my last name and Address.I opened the mail and found( mail addressed to someone living in adjacent community (I never lived there or know that person).I called the adjacent community leasing office ,handed over the letter to them explaining what happened and that I opened it by mistake thinking it is mine and they accepted it stating they will give it to the recipient.Now I have 2 concerns: 1. Has someone tampered with address change request(I checked my own address change request and all seemed fine).Is there anything I need to do here or simply ignore? 2. The fact I opened the mail returned the mail to the expected recipient realizing the mistake ,is it a crime? Please advise.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with your question today.

Only the post office can provide you information regarding your address change. Since you checked with them and everything seemed in order I would not worry about it. If you want to be certain it is still in place. Mail yourself a letter at your old address and see if it arrives at your new address.

While opening mail not addressed to you may be considered mail tampering, it is a crime that requires a specific intent to tamper with the mail. As you have described the situation your opening the mail clearly was an accident. In my 22+ years of practicing law I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for accidentally mail delivered to them by mistake. I would not worry about it. You did the right thing turning the mail over to the intended recipient.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

_________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for the answer.

1. I did my address change online from USPS site paying 1$ from my credit card,So I just checked online and old and new addresses were fine.So we are good there.I also have the credit card statement showing 1$ payment.

2. That mail had a yellow sticker on top of the envelope with "Notify Sender of new Address" with my last name and address attached on top of envelope.Is it still considered tampering?

3. In case I get any future mails of some one else,what steps should I take?Shall I return to post office?

It would appear then that the post office made a mistake and put your forwarding label on the wrong piece of mail. Since your name appeared on the mail it hardly could be considered tampering. Also in your first scenario it would not be considered tampering because there was no intent. The opening was done by mistake.

1)You could return to the post office; 2) hand it back to mailman and advise him of the mistake or 3) write on the envelope "forwarded to wrong address"