Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I filed a police report recently, can I file charges without

I filed a police report recently, can I file charges without a lawyer?
Hello friend and thank you for requesting me.

The way is works is:

1) You make a complaint;
2) The police gather evidence via investigation; and
3) The prosecutor gets the file from the police and decides whether or not to file charges. The prosecutor brings charges - not the victim or their guardian.

So if you have filed a complaint, the police are likely investigating and/or the prosecutor is contemplating charges. It may take several weeks or even months - patience is key here, I am afraid.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, want to know if Illinois laws on bullying, insist that parents of victims of bullying must be notified by the school administrators?

There is no such requirement under 105 Illinois Compiled Statutes §5/10 et seq that parents have to be notified for bullying instances.