How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28342
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently went to dinner with a friend at her friends home

This answer was rated:

I recently went to dinner with a friend at her friend's home (I do not know the host of the dinner). I had a pre-employment drug test the next day which came back positive for THC metabolites. I do not use marijuana so was confused about the results. I was assured the results were mine and there were no errors with the sample. After inquiring of my friend of the possibility that food at the dinner was adulterated, the host's son finally admitted (this took 3 days) that he added marijuana to the spaghetti sauce as a prank with friends. I wanted to file a police report but my friend got very upset about getting involved and would not give me the last name or address of the host (I did not know her before the dinner and have none of this information). I would send the police to speak with my friend directly however she admitted to me that she does not wish to give the information is because the host is one of her physicians and she had no idea her son was involved until I brought up the possibility. My friend has metastatic breast cancer and is afraid to lose the host as her MD because she feels this is not her fault. My friend also obtains medical marijuana from out of state (we live in Maryland where it is not legal) so is really upset about having police involved at all. I worry about making her health worse from stress if I do send police to speak with her, which I know is quite stupid but she has a great deal of anxiety already in dealing with her disease. I need to show the potential employer I did not knowingly use drugs. Is there any way to do this without filing a report or sending police to question my friend?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about the situation and understand your concern. It is a shame to have to be dealing with this. The only way to show the potential employer that the failed test results were a result of the actions of the teenager, would likely be to get him and his mother, to go meet and speak with the employer, to explain the situation. They would have to be willing to cooperate with you AND your potential employer would have to be willing to speak with them and decide if what the teen is saying, is credible and the basis for the failed test. It would be at the discretion of the employer at that time, to retest you and reconsider hiring you, if you pass. You can speak with your friend and advise them that if the teen and the mother do not cooperate, then you will have no choice but to get the police involved, since this is effecting your livelihood. Marijuana can stay in your system for up to 30 days or even more, so if you went and applied for a new job and were tested, you want to make sure you are outside of the window, where marijuana would be detected and present.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help. One more question please. Since I cannot directly contact the mother and son am I without further action if I cannot reach my friend. I believe she has been avoiding my calls.

You are welcome. If your friend is avoiding your calls directly, try and send her an email or text messages, explaining your intentions and actions at this point. The fact that she is avoiding you and unwilling to help, certainly shows her character and if she is indeed a "friend". There should be no reason that she is unwilling to help with the situation and try to bring all the parties together, to try and resolve this, favorable to all.
CrimDefense and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you