How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102601
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

was convicted of (NNN) NNN-NNNN3 controled substance manufacture

This answer was rated:

was convicted of (NNN) NNN-NNNN3 controled substance manufacture marijauna recieved two years probation which i sucessfully completed and was released from. per my my plea agreement the the conviction been reduced to simple possesssion 333.74032d my question how i get the state and federal data bases to update my info and show that i,m not a felon , i,m going to canda to work in may i don,t want have any issues at the border ,and whatabout the federal fire instant back ground check how is that updated
Hello, my name is Ely. Welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you wish to hear. Note: there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. Can you please tell me if you have been stopped and accused of having a conviction already, or, are you simply apprehensive about the fact that you may be stopped and accused of such?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i want to know what i can do to make sure my that my new information is properly entered in the system showing i no longer have felony , no ihavenot been stopped, but i,m going to work in canada in may i,m worried that if the fedral data is not corrected i wil have trouble at the border

Thank you, Bob.

The authorities at the border will look to your record with the FBI. That record combines the following databses:
-Sexual Offender Registry;
-Foreign Fugitive;
-Immigration Violator (USCIS/ICE/CBP);
-Violent Gang and Terrorist Organization;
-Wanted Persons files (federal and state warrants)
-state records.

The way to see what is in your record is to request it from the FBI. You may obtain a copy of your FBI Identification Record by sending a request to:

Federal Bureau of Investigation
CJIS Division
Attention: Record Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg , WV 26306

You are required to provide the following :

1) Your written request.

2) Payment for the $18 processing fee, either by certified check or money order made payable to the U.S. Treasury, or a credit card. For credit card payment information, visit the Identification Record Request website.

3) A current, original tenprint fingerprint submission (not previously processed) taken by a local law enforcement agency and bearing your name, date of birth, and place of birth. Key information needed is magnified below.

If you see a conviction on the record and wish to challenge it, you may do so by writing to FBI’s CJIS Division, Attention: Correspondence Group, 1000 Custer Hollow Road, Clarksburg, WV 26306.

Let me know if you need a sample letter for the original request, or the challenge (if necessary).

The processing time may take a little bit - several weeks. You can obtain an estimate of the current processing time by calling(NNN) NNN-NNNN

I hope this helps and clarifies - best of luck.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three faces, keep this in mind when rating my and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

IMPORTANT: Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating. My ultimate goal is your complete satisfaction.
Ely and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
PS - also, please see below for more information: