How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27196
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I missed a court date for college classes. The offense was

Customer Question

I missed a court date for college classes. The offense was $134 for running a stop sign, is there anyway I can just go pay that and not worry about anything else?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. Do you know the outcome/result as ordered by the court, for failing to appear? Was a warrant issued or was the case decided in your absence?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I ran a stop sign and missed the court date due to a class and then work scheduling. I was unable to get out of either prior engagement and I'd really prefer to just pay the court fee. Is there anyway that I can just do that

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.
Danny, I do understand. Did you originally elect the court date instead of just paying the ticket?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did just elect to go to the court date, however by the time the court date rolled around I saw that I was unable to attend and since It was on a Monday I couldn't go over the weekend to pay it off and now I would really prefer to do that

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Since you did request a court date, the ability to just pay the ticket, likely does not exist at this time. If you failed to appear in court, your license was likely suspended and will remain suspended, until this is resolved. As such, you want to call the clerk of court this morning and see what action, if any, was taken on the missed court appearance. It is possible that you have to go to the court house and file a motion asking that the court date be reset, so you can appear and that any suspension be lifted, so you can reinstate your license and legally drive. In the body of the motion, you will want to explain to the court why you failed to appear and a new date should eventually be given to you, to appear. Of course, when you call the clerk this morning, you can always ask if you can just pay it, assuming the court proceeded in your absence and found you guilty. If that is the case, you would have to pay the fine, in addition to the court costs, which will be more then the $134 but the clerk would provide you with the exact amount.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Criminal Law Questions