How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I was at Castaic Lake fishing during normal hours and

This answer was rated:

Hello, I was at Castaic Lake fishing during normal hours and got a violation for 555PC Tresspass on Posted land. I was just a few feet beyond the no tresspassing signs. The problem is I am a dentist in Saugus Ca, and am concerned what penalty I will have. My court date on the ticket is May 30th. Please tell me if I should hire an attorney. I have never been in any trouble before. I am 50 years old. Thank you.

California considers this a very minor misdemeanor offense. As you have never been in trouble in the past, a likely resolution would be nothing more than fines and court costs. With this in mind, you might consider going to the May court date without an attorney. You could speak with the prosecutor and explain your situation, that being that you are a 50 year old dentist with no criminal history. Taking this into consideration, the prosecutor may very well extend an acceptable offer. If so, you could resolve the case quickly and easily.


You might also ask the prosecutor if his office offers any type of deferred prosecution. Many prosecutor's offices offer some form of deferred prosecution whereby the defendant performs certain tasks (perhaps community service or payment of fines, for example) and, upon completion of those tasks, the charge is dismissed. This would, of course, provide an excellent outcome for you.


Failing all of this, you could then retain an attorney. If you do not receive an offer that satisfies you, you could tell the judge that you would like to continue the case to hire an attorney. The judge would likely continue the case out for about a month or so, thereby giving you time to research a few local attorneys and hire one that satisfies your needs.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you