How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102150
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my 21 year old daughter has been charged with "contributing

This answer was rated:

my 21 year old daughter has been charged with "contributing to the delinquency of a minor". Her friend is 20 and they were both carrying 2 beers. What should I do? This happened in Manhattan, KS.

Is your daughter a student at KSU, and did the crime occur on campus?

Let me know, thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She was a student last year, but not this year. I dont believe the fraternity is on campus property. She was written up by an undercover ABC agent. I just need to know how serious an offense this is. She could lose her job as a para professional teacher with the Dodge City School District if she has to go to jail for any amount of time. I also am worried they may try and take her driver's license, as she commutes 22 miles to work everyday.


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am another expert on JustAnswer. Your previous expert has opted out.

Can you please tell me:

1) Has she had a court date yet, or, not yet?
2) Does she have any prior convictions?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, Her court date is tomorrow. I just found out about it today and am trying to play catch up. She got an MIC a year and half ago.

Thank you. Apologies in advance for the momentary wait as I am typing out an answer...
First of all, understand that this is just one of several hearing dates that she will have. Typically, on the first hearing date, she will be asked how she pleads (NOT GUILTY), and then the matter will be reset several times as her attorney and the prosecutor try to come up with a plea deal. If this does not work, then she is to take her chances at trial. About 90% of such matters end up with a plea deal.

Normally, if she does not have an attorney, the Court will not even take her plea, and will reset the matter for her to find counsel. She may also request a reset herself to find counsel and the Judge normally obliges on the first hearing.

If she cannot afford an attorney, then one is typically appointed to her, but the Court has to be convinced that she really cannot afford it - if she is able-bodied and can work, and is not in jail, then the Court normally declines appointment, but it is on a case by case basis.

What should I do?

Try to find counsel for her. May I recommend the Kansas Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

Take a deep breath. I know that you are very worried right now and this is justified, but please give yourself a chance to relax because the more one is wound tight, the more "tragic" circumstances seem.

It is very likely that the prosecutor and her attorney will come to a plea deal. Her attorney is likely to push for a deferred sentence, which is a type of program wherein a low-level, non-violent crime with someone who has little/no priors is given classes and community hours and probation in exchange for dropping the charge and any conviction. If this is done, then the matter may usually be expunged and it would be as though nothing happened.

So I believe that very likely, the prosecutor and the defense attorney will come up with such a plea deal after a few resets. If not, then still a plea deal may be worked out - few matters actually ever get to trial.

So your best bet at the moment is finding counsel. If finances are an issue, let me know, and I will provide some pro bono leads in the state.

I hope this clarifies. Good luck, and I hope this works out.

IMPORTANT: Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating. My ultimate goal is your complete satisfaction.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102150
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Ely and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you