How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28371
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son just got a ticket for underage drinking while driving.

This answer was rated:

My son just got a ticket for underage drinking while driving. His ticket was for unlawful acts and he was breathalized at a .063 and again at .056. I spoke to a reputable lawyer and he wanted $6500 to take the case. Just what is a lawyer going to do? What are we going to plea down to? The situation doesn't seem very promising regardless. I don't want to spend what to me is a large sum of money for a predetermined outcome. What is the attorney banking on here? When could I get a court appointed attorney? Would that be worth it? Please advise.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern for your son. If you retain private counsel, they are going to make a demand for discovery and review all the evidence which the State has and is going to be using against your son at trial. They will determine if the officer had a legal basis to stop the vehicle, if the evidence obtained was done so legally, if the breath test was properly administered and if there is any basis to file a motion to suppress, to prevent the evidence from coming in. If there are no defenses and there is no reason to go to trial, the attorney can work out a plea deal, asking for the minimum penalties to be imposed. There should be no reason that jail is sought but probation is likely along with fines, court costs, community service, alcohol classes/treatment, a license suspension and anything else which the prosecutor feels is necessary. If you are unable to retain private counsel based upon the high cost, your son can ask to be appointed the public defender, at his next court appearance. The PD certainly has the experience to handle this case but often has a heavy case load, so may not be able to give your son enough personal attention, as a private attorney would. There is never any guarantee to the outcome and it is possible that the PD can obtain the same results as a private attorney.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
CrimDefense and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you