How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116727
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a physician in private practice , working with weight

This answer was rated:

I am a physician in private practice , working with weight loss people . I am being accused of misdiagnosing ,’swiping that diagnosis under the rug’ being greedy and extremely rude. All of that is posted on Google. All of that not true. I have dozens positive reviews but that unfair one damaging me seriously . Any suggestions . How well you are familiar with internet rules? How different that rules from common law concerning libelous statements. Thanks.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The laws that apply here are the defamation/slander laws, which apply the same to false statements on the internet made by people as they do to false statements made in person.

In general this would be defamation per se and you can sue the party who made the statement for damages and for an injunction to remove the comments. A statement is defamatory per se only if it falls within one of the following categories: (1) imputation of a crime; (2) imputation of a loathsome disease; (3) injury to a person's office, business, profession, or calling; or (4) imputation of sexual misconduct. Gray v. HEB Food Store No. 4, 941 S.W.2d 327, 329 (Tex.App.-Corpus Christi 1997, writ denied). If the jury finds that the defendant made the allegedly defamatory statement about the plaintiff, and the statement is defamatory per se, then the factfinder may presume that the statement injured the plaintiff's reputation. Bentley v. Bunton, 94 S.W.3d 561, 604 (Tex.2002). When the presumption applies, the plaintiff is entitled to recover general damages, such as for loss of reputation and mental anguish. Id. At a minimum, the plaintiff in such a case is entitled to nominal damages. Tex. Disposal Sys. Landfill, Inc. v. Waste Mgmt. Holdings, Inc., 219 S.W.3d 563, 581 (Tex.App.-Austin 2007, pet. denied) (citing Bentley, 94 S.W.3d at 604).

Thus, you can file suit against the party making the statements and seek damages. If you do not know who is making the statements, you file suit against John Doe and then you subpoena the internet records from the website to track the identity of the party who posted them to name and serve the proper party.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Very good . I know the person. I have a chart and I can answer all pertaining questions. As I said I feel confident that I am right. I certainly don’t need monetary damages but I want that dirt to be removed . I can guide you to the alleged web site so you will see it by yourself and consider whether it would be classified as a ‘ (3) injury to a person's office, business, profession, or calling;’

If the comment is talking about the way you practice medicine or conduct your business then it does fit in the injury to your profession as it disparages you to the public regarding your practice of medicine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


I think so but I am not a expert. Can I copy it for you so you let me know your opinion?

Thank you for your response. Please provide the information if you like or the link.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Go to Google ,type ‘ weight loss dr fort worth. You will find 3 references under my name

1. Dr. Cherkassky: Weight Loss Dr Dallas, Fort Worth

You +1'd this publicly. Undo

New revolutionary weight loss. Learn how a new discovery made it possible. Listen to our weight loss success stories in Ft Worth and Dallas. Dr. Cherkassky ...

Contact Us - Sensotherapy ~ Weight Loss ... - Meet Doreen - Ana

  1. 2. Places for weight loss dr near Fort Worth, TX

Dr. Michael Cherkassky, MD
1 Google review

607 W Magnolia Ave #201
Fort Worth

Medi-Weightloss Clinics
9 Google reviews

7253 Hawkins View Dr
Fort Worth

Dr. Adam B. Smith, DO
Google+ page

XXXXXbr/>Fort Worth


Go to the second one and under it click on 1 Google review . You will see it

Thank you for the post.

This is going to be her mere opinion and if she has the alleged test results in her possession and/or the other doctor supports her contentions, if you sue her for defamation she would likely be able to defeat your claim based on the fact that a person's opinion based on the available facts they have before them is not defamation. It is only defamation if the person is making a statement they knew to be false at the time they made it or made it with reckless disregard of the truth. Based on her statement, she claims she has another doctor's opinion, but also she claims she has the test results and if she does then her opinion is protected by the first amendment, even if she may be wrong just as long as the statement is not known by her to be false when she made it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


The TSH elevation is not a emergency and I routinely explain my patients to get in touch with their family physicians to work it up . As been done in that case.There was no need for me to swip it under the rug . I could get dozens of testimonials to that at any time. I do not treat this conditions and as I said simply refer patients , there was no malicious intent. My question pertains to a statement of me being rude and startin title ‘Don’t go to this DR.” wich I view as a libel. Thanks .Let me know

Thank you for the follow up and sorry for the delay.

This statement is very borderline and more her opinion. Rude is something that is based on her interpretation. What would be libel or defamation would be any accusations about improper or negligent treatment and for that she would have to know that the treatment was not negligent yet she is claiming it as such.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions