How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28043
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was arrested in N Myrtle beach for disorderly conduct.

Customer Question

My son was arrested in N Myrtle beach for disorderly conduct. He was 19 years old and needs to appear in court. He feels the maximum penalty is a fine of $165. My wife and I are fearful of this opinion. He has opted not to take the alcohol classes that were offered.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern for your son. This is a misdemeanor offense and is punishable by a fine of up to $100, or up to 30 days in jail. The elements of the offense, which the State must prove are:

1. (a) That the accused was found on any highway or at any public place or public gathering in a grossly intoxicated condition or was conducting himself in a disorderly or boisterous manner.

(b) That the accused did use obscene or profane language on any highway, public place, gathering, or in hearing distance of any church or schoolhouse.

(c) That the accused, while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or feigning to be, without just cause or excuse, did discharge a gun, pistol or other firearm while upon or within fifty yards of a public road or highway, and not on his own premises.

While it is highly unlikely that your son will be given any jail time or placed on probation, this is still something that could likely appear on his record. While the court may only impose a fine and court costs, if he was offered alcohol classes, it would appear that there was some type of diversion program offered to him, that could have possible resulted in the charge being dismissed, so it would not appear. When he appears in court, he could inquire about this, unless he reject the offer already. While he may not want to attend alcohol classes or thinks he does not need them, he may want to just accept it and do them, to avoid having this on his record and something which he would have to disclose to a potential employer.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!