How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalEagle1 Your Own Question
LegalEagle1, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 795
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LegalEagle1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am recently divorced (3/5/13). My ex husband recently found

This answer was rated:

I am recently divorced (3/5/13). My ex husband recently found out that I had been unfaithful and I believe he thinks that I somehow squandered our funds for my activities and has hired a private investigator. I do not mind as all our finances were joint and very transparent. I did however sell a piece or two of old native american jewelry (which belong to me) for money as to not affect our accounts. Anyway, I want to know if I have any recourse in that the fact that he has hired a private investigator and that we are divorced? Is he allowed to do that? I feel like I'm being stalked. I'm thinking he just wants more details of where I go and who I see? Please advise. Sheri R.
Hello Sheri,

Welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with your question today.

You should examine your divorce decree, generally it will contain an harassment clause such as the following:

"Both parties shall hereafter continue to live separate and apart from each other, and neither shall annoy, molest, interfere with or harass the other in any way or manner, either directly or indirectly."

If it does, you can file a motion with the court to have your husband held in contempt. How the court would handle this would depend up what specifically the investigator has done.

Also if the investigator has committed any crimes while conducting his investigation you can have him charged. Sometimes they will access email or other accounts looking for information. Also if his conduct or actions can be described pattern of conduct that would cause a reasonable person to feel frightened, intimidated or threatened you may be able to have charged with stalking. You have not provided much detail so it is hard to tell you if there is much merit in this.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
LegalEagle1 and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you