Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How do you petition the courts in WI to remove a name from

Customer Question
the sex offender registration?...
How do you petition the courts in WI to remove a name from the sex offender registration?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
4/1/2013
Criminal Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 4 years ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Thelawman2 :
There are three methods for removing an individual from the Registry, or making his/her records "inactive":

Period of Registration Completed: Registrants who have completed their required term of registration, 15 years following expiration from sentence, will have their records made "Inactive" on the Registry. These individuals will receive a "Notice of Termination" of their obligation to register.

Record Expungement: Registrants may request expungement of all pertinent information in the Registry on the grounds that his/her conviction, delinquency, adjudication or commitment has been reversed, set aside or vacated. The DOC must purge all information in the Registry concerning an individual when DOC receives the confirmation.

Death: Death of a registrant will be verified by the Registration Specialist. Upon verification, these records will be made "Inactive" in the Registry.
Thelawman2 :

Therefore, if you were going to get the court to remove the name, the only method is to have the record expunged. However, as you can see, it is very narrow grounds. Otherwise, the person will have to wait the 15 years.

JACUSTOMER-l9t79qay- :

Seriously? All you did was copy that from Google.

JACUSTOMER-l9t79qay- :

I need information on how to go about submitting the petition.

Criminal Lawyer: Wendy-Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Wendy-Mod
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Wendy

You can cancel it. I called a local attorney and he answered my question for free.

Ely, Counselor at Law