How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been employed with the City for almost 12yrs. Completed

This answer was rated:

I have been employed with the City for almost 12yrs. Completed a CORI before I was hired. Yesterday my supervisor brought to my attention, that it was brought to their attention that I Warrant for for my arrest was issued on 5/2000 from Wrentham Ma, for a larceny under $250 that occurred in 9/1999. My name, Social security was correct, My address back then was correct but the city and zip code were incorrect. There was no physical description or date of birth. I did have and issue in the mid 90's, where my mother was opening credit cards, using my name and social security. I am confused on what to do at this point, if I go to Walpole PD to clear my name, will I be arrested on the spot? and why after almost 13yrs with the City, why is this coming out now

You should consider hiring a criminal defense attorney to handle this for you. The attorney could confirm the warrant and contact the office of the prosecuting attorney. In speaking with the prosecutor's, he could check on the validity of the facts behind the warrant and, if you are correct, potentially have the warrant dismissed.


In theory, you could handle this on your own. However, if you contact anyone directly, you run the risk of being picked up on the warrant and taken to jail. If you can explain the situation thoroughly and you get an understanding prosecutor, you may be able to work it out but you may not be so lucky.


As to the length of time involved, unfortunately, this is not terribly unusual. While law enforcement attempts to serve warrants in a more timely fashion, this does not always happen. On the plus side, the sheer passage of time probably benefits you. Assuming the allegations are true, it would be all the more difficult for the prosecutor to prove his case when this occurred more than a decade ago. This is certainly something that an experienced criminal defense attorney could use to your benefit.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you