How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im being charged with Assault in the third degree

This answer was rated:

I'm being charged with Assault in the third degree misdemeanor. And Domestic Violence in the state of Colorado. I don't live in Colorado. I'm just here working on a job.
I've been to my arraignment and was told by the district attorney to come back on another date. Should I be looking for a Lawyer at this time? Or could I go to my next court date and here what they have to offer. Then if I feel it's necessary hire a lawyer then?
Is that possible?
Thanks for using It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Have you ever been convicted of a crime before?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, Misdemeanors in Arizona


Sorry for the delay. I was finishing assisting another customer.

The answer to your question is that your initial instinct is most likely correct! You should be using the time between your arraignment and your next court date to hire an attorney who specializes in criminal law in the jurisdiction in which you have been charged. You can discuss the specific facts of your case, evaluate your options and decide how to proceed. An attorney may be able to get the case dismissed, get the charges reduced, or if you plead guilty, get a sentencing recommendation from the prosecutor.

Below please find a link to the Colorado Bar Association Attorney Referral Page.

Moreover, because you live out of state, there may be issues if you were to be put on probation in Colorado. An attorney may be able to advocate to the judge on your behalf regarding this issue.

If you did NOT commit the crime, you REALLY should obtain the advice and assistance of an attorney. If you were to represent yourself, you would be held to the same standards as a licensed to attorney regarding the court rules and rules of evidence.

The longer that it takes the case to be resolved (either by plea or by a jury), the more likely it is that your work in Colorado will have ended. Then, you would have to travel back and forth for each court date and/or trial date. If you are working in your home state, or another state, it may become very burdensome--both financially and for your employment.

Moreover, if you can avoid an assaultive crime on your record, it is best to do so. Your employer may have a policy to do a criminal background check from time to time, and any future employer will probably run a criminal background check. An assaultive crime on your record may cause you to be fired from your current job or prohibit you from gaining employment with any prospective employers.

I hope you find this information useful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it as "excellent" or in another positive manner. That is the only way that I can get credit for answering the question.

Thank you for your business!


xavierjd and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you so much for the "excellent service" rating! It is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you found the information useful.

If you have future questions, you can specifically request me by name as the expert.

Thanks again,