Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I moved to TX and received a DUI and cleared all legal matters.

I just found out via...
I moved to TX and received a DUI and cleared all legal matters. I just found out via a casual conversation that I may have to face charges in California for the offense in TX. I'm so upset , because the attorney that reprsented me on my TX DUI case never brought this issue to my attention. I kept my CA drivers license until now, which is been four years since moving out of CA, because I didnt know if I would stay. I'm going to the DMV to apply for a TX license tomorrow morning and now fearful of the outcome. Will my CA record show a warrant for a DUI in CA for the DUI received in TX?
3/21/2013
Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer

No, there should not be any warrant from California for your arrest based upon the Texas DUI. While the states do share information on traffic tickets, suspensions and the like, this is primarily for the purposes of having some continuity regarding the driver's license. However, when a person is arrested in one state, the prosecution will occur entirely within that state. No other state would issue a warrant related to that arrest or prosecution.

.

So, go to the DMV tomorrow without fear of any warrants related to the DUI arrest.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer