Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Can a 2C:12-1a(1) (misdemeanor) simple assult with a guilty

plea be expunged from my...
Can a 2C:12-1a(1) (misdemeanor) simple assult with a guilty plea be expunged from my record.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2013
xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer
Thanks for using JustAnswer.com. It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

How long has it been since you were convicted of the simple assault?

Thanks

6.5 years. Happened July of 2006. I plead guilty to the charges

Hi Brian,

I want to look up a couple of things. I will be back asap with an answer for you.

Thanks for your patience.

ok, thank you

Hi Brian,

Simple assault is a disorderly persons offense unless committed in a fight or scuffle entered into by mutual consent, in which case it is a petty disorderly persons offense.

New Jersey has disorderly and petty disorderly persons offenses (what other states would call "misdemeanors") that can be expunged under certain circumstances. This is done through a "petition for expungement" if you meet the following requirements:

• It has been at least five years from the date of your conviction, or the date on which the sentence was completed, whichever is later;
  • You have not been convicted of any prior or subsequent crime in any state; and
  • You have not had more than three disorderly or petty disorderly persons offenses.

So, if you meet the above requirements, the answer to your question is "yes."

I hope you find this information useful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it as "excellent" or in another positive manner. That is the only way that I can get credit for answering the question.

Thank you for your business!

XavierJD

xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer
Hi Brian,

Thank you for your business!

XavierJD
thank you
Hi Brian,

You are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please specifically request me to be your expert!

Best of luck to you.

xavierjd
xavierjd
xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer