How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118635
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was taken to jail last night for herassment, disordly conduct

This answer was rated:

I was taken to jail last night for herassment, disordly conduct and resisting arrest. I was beat unconscious at the scene and woke up in the hospital while getting a cat scan. The hospital said i will probably need plastic surgery to correct my fractured bones. Am i able to sue for this issue?

i walk into the bar and ordered 1 beer. I was mingling with people and just talking and laughing trying to have a good time. Then i relize that one of the people i was sitting next to was a police officer. I just started talking to him and i realized he was in a really bad mood. He abruptly got up and went outside, then came back inside with a girl and sat back next to me. When i seen his girlfriend i said hi and i introduced myself. Before i got dont talking this guy (police officer) had slammed me on the ground and started beating me till i was unconscious.

If he did this to you without any provocation and without you physically resisting arrest and he was off duty, you can sue the policeman directly as he was the cause of your injuries. You would need a witness to the incident and you will need to get these criminal charges of resisting arrest dismissed by the criminal court. The police officer is liable for his off duty conduct and if you try to sue the police department for the conduct they will get the case against them dismissed, but the officer will remain liable for your injuries and pain and suffering.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted or the law does not help your situation, PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, I should have been more specific, They guy was on duty when he did this to me. He showed me his badge and i was fully aware of his status as a police officer. He is actually a detective.

Sorry, I did not realize he was on duty. If he was actually on duty, then you can sue both the officer and the police department for his conduct as I stated above. The police department may try to argue that he was not supposed to be in the bar while on duty and try to get out of it, but if you prove he was working then generally they will not manage to get themselves dismissed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your time. Just one morre question, What type of lawyer do i need to get? I will be going first thing in the morning and want to make sure i pick the best one i can afford. Im browsing webpages now of my local lawyers. Again, thankl you so much for your time.

You would need a civil rights attorney or a personal injury attorney. You can find one at the same sites used by other attorneys, or or
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you