Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  20 years trial experience in defense of criminal cases
11688690

If a sex offender was released from registering by court order

If a sex offender was released from registering by court order in one state does he have have to register in another.

Law Pro :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m going to assist you with your question.

Law Pro :

Can you explain the release from registering by the court order with more information?

Customer:

He no longer is required to register as a sex offender in that state.

Customer:

He still has the conviction on his record,but deemed no threat to society.

Customer:

Convicted of cruelty to children.

Law Pro :

The law is - if someone must register in the jurisdiction where he was convicted then they must register in a foreign state too when they establishes a residence, becomes employed or attends school, etc. Moreover, the convicted person must also register in a foreign state regardless of the conviction state if they have been convicted of a "substantially similar charge" as those requiring registration in that state.

Law Pro :

So it all depends on the state where he's moving to - if they require those convicted of cruelty to children to register - then he must register there regardless if he doesn't have to currently in the conviction state.