How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34314
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if i am faced with a crime (nothing serious) and i move abroad

Resolved Question:

if i am faced with a crime (nothing serious) and i move abroad before being convincted, what can I expect to happen over time. Is this an ok strategy, or is it better just to face the consequences here.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist on this matter. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience in criminal law.

That depends on when you leave. If you leave before the start of the trial then most likely the court will issue a warrant for your arrest. That warrant will not expire, so if you ever attempt to reenter the country, you can be arrested on the warrant and brought to trial.

If you leave after the start of the the trial, but before the completion, then the court can hold your trial "in absentia" (without you being present). If this happens, they would impose a sentence as well as a warrant and if you return you could be put in jail for the sentence received.

If you never return to the US, then it is likely nothing would happen, unless this is serious crime (like murder, sexual assault or some other serious felony it is unlikely the state would attempt to extradite you for return.

The problems will start if you return. There is no expiration of a a you could leave and return 10 years from now and they could still enforce a pending warrant.

P. Simmons and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In these situations where a warrant is out for your arrest, are they able to freeze your bank accounts? or would those still function
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 years ago.
The federal and state governments can request to the court to freeze bank accounts if there is evidence that the suspect is attempting to evade justice. So yes...this is possible
P. Simmons and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you