How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27256
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

12 years ago i had someone rig a gas meter for me. I was having

Customer Question

12 years ago i had someone rig a gas meter for me. I was having financial trouble. It was wrong and the gas company found out. I had to pay for the time I rigged and I did. Today my husband was pulled over with a truck that is in my name and they told him I have a warrant for my arrest regarding this from november of 2001 when it happened. I never knew about this until today. Is there a statue of limitations for this its been 12 years and restution was paid
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand your situation and concern. The statute of limitations is the time in which the State has to file criminal charges against you. If charges are not filed within that time, th ability to prosecute will be lost. However, once a warrant is issued, it remains active until it is served on the party charged or lifted/vacated by the Judge. based upon the facts which you stated above, you are going to have to answer to this. In order to avoid turning yourself in, you can retain legal counsel and have them file a motion with the court, asking that the warrant be lifted and the case be set for hearing, upon which you can appear. Your attorney can then make a demand for discovery and look over all the evidence which the State has and is going to be using against you. It is possible, based upon the age of the case, that the State will have a problem finding their witnesses and obtaining the necessary evidence to proceed to trial. As such, they may be willing to possible amend the charge or dismiss it, if you have defenses to raise. If not, then your attorney can always work out a plea deal.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

due to the age of the warrant and I did pay restitution can I do this on my own. I cannot really afford a lawyer and I don't know if I qualify for a public defender. Also, since I didn't physically do the act of rigging it would I still be held totally responsible. The person who did it is long gone and I don't even know where he is

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
had another question
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.
Roxanne, thank you for the follow up question. I would be happy to answer this. You can file the motion yourself and explain to the court that you never received notice regarding any criminal charges being filed and that you just recently found out about the warrant. As such, you want to appear and answer to the charge and have the warrant vacated, as you promise to appear at all subsequent hearings. It will be at the discretion of the Judge to grant or deny your motion. Even though you did not rig the meter, you knew about it. allowed it to happen and asked them to do this, so you certainly can still be held accountable..
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.
Hi Roxanne. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify anything. I am here to help, so just let me know.