Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

My son was arrested and booked and charged with Disorderly

My son was arrested and booked and charged with Disorderly Conduct- DV due to an argument with his girl friend during a messy break up. This arrest occured the following day of the alleged conduct. There was no physical violence or abuse and is basically a he said she said issue. There were no witnesses. We filed a motion for dismissal but was denied. The cast goes to trial toward the end of March. Should my son obtain a lawyer for his defense? He does not have much money.

JD 1992 :

Yes, no one should represent themselves in a criminal case, even a lawyer.

JD 1992 :

If he can't afford an attorney he can get one appointed.

JD 1992 :

Trials are extremely complicated and require a complete understanding of the Rules of Procedure and the Rules of Evidence, not to mention the actual laws involved in the case.

JD 1992 :

There are some cases where people can represent themselves, a simple divorce for instance, and not take too big of a risk but in a criminal case a lawyer should always be involved.

JD 1992 :

It looks like you are offline so I will exit and assist others. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.