CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

3rd. DWI lowered to a Driveing to Endanger. dismiss motion f

3RD DUI LOWERED TO DRIVEING TO ENDANGER.2 MONTH SUSPENTION.500.00 FINE, COURT ORDER TO RESTORE LICENSE. BUT REGISTRY(MASS.)ADDED 60 DAYS TO 5 YEAR SUSPENSION FOR CHEM TEST REFUSE. FOR DUI SETTLED IN MY FAVOR. DRIVEING TO ENDANGER. Can registry of MOTOR VEHICLES (MASSACHUSETTS} DO this when there is court order to restore license after 60 days. What is recoarse if Registry {RMV} CAN DO THIS.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand your situation and concern. The RMV can do this, since they are separate from the court and the suspension has nothing to do with the outcome of the criminal case. The suspension through the court and the RMV are different. At the time is the suspension, you had 15 days to appeal it. However, the current 5 year suspension is a result of a 3rd refusal. Under Massachusetts law, your previous offense must have resulted in a conviction in order for the RMV to rely on it for the enhanced breath test suspension period. If you received a Continuance Without a Finding on one or more of those previous offenses, it is not a conviction. Moreover, in this case, your DUI was lowered, so an argument could be made that the suspension time should be less. You can try and appeal the refusal suspension to the district court which took final action on the DUI charge and need to use an attorney to do this, since it is difficult and the State is likely going to object to it.