How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently on PA parole and one of my conditions is that

This answer was rated:

I am currently on PA parole and one of my conditions is that I cannot travel through or reside in a certain county, (the county of my conviction) is there any way to change this so I could work there? All of my fines and court costs are paid in full

JD 1992 :

The only ones who can change it are the state parole board. Courts don't have any jurisdiction to change the terms and conditions of parole because it isn't a "right".

JD 1992 :

Why would you rate this as poor service? I provided a correct answer within minutes of you asking the question.


I already knew who can change it,I need to know how to change it,

JD 1992 :

I'm going to opt out and let someone else assist you.

Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Do you currently have a job offer in that county you are barred from?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am a timber faller and my job location changes often the logging company I am currently employed by was moved to a job in the county barred to me leaving me unemployed.

Thank you. What happened when you shared that information and gave proof of that to your parole officer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I won't be able to tell them untill tue. and even then I recently moved to a new parole district and am still wating to be assigned a new agent and I really doubt my current agent would be interested in helping me since very soon I won't be assigned to her.basically i'm wondering if there is a way for me to petition the parole board myself as I have had no problems while on parole my fines and court costs are paid and my current agent recently put me on minium supervision.also the only reason I'm barred is because when the parole board wanted to parole me they asked the judge and D.A. if they had any objections and the D.A. did because aithough I took a plea and sentence he decided upon he wanted me to get more time also when i took the plea i also had a letter from the DA stating he had no problem with me being paroled when apparently he did

Thank you. What are the underlying reasons for the ban? What danger do you pose to that specific community (and not others)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When the parole board wanted to parole me the they send letters to the DA and judge to see if they have a problem with it the judge told me he normally ignores them and parole takes that as if he has no problem.The DA however responded to the parole that he didn't want me to get parole, so the parole board imposed the ban and gave me parole. The DA wanted me to be sentenced to more time and also lost an appeal on my case about evidence he wanted to use something I was arrested for but not convicted of years before this case he lost an appeal to the PA supreme court and resulting in me being in county jail for 2.5 years without a trial possibably violating speedy trial laws unless I took a plea all of this was making the DA look bad in the paper as this is a small community and my case was big news . As far as I know I pose no danger to this county or anyone in it.

What is the nature of the offense that you are on parole for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

aggravated assault with serios bodidaly injury

Thank you. XXXXX the courts have previously ruled that "convicted persons...enjoy no fundamental right to travel." Lines v. Wargo, 271 F.Supp.2d 649, 661 (W.D.Pa. 2003). Keep in mind that in, the Lines case, the convicted felon represented himself in court.

Now, you can contact the parole board on your own, in writing, and ask that the condition be removed. They could do it if they wanted to and if you give them proof of how the ban is harming you. However, very honestly, you are going to want to have legal representation.

If you are not able to afford to hire your own attorney to make the constitutional argument, then you may want to contact your local ACLU office and see if they would represent you.

The instructions for seeking their assistance is found at this page:

I understand that what you're seeking seems to be very straight forward. However, it's not an outcome which you are automatically entitled to. It will require some legal muscle and that's why I encourage you to contact your local ACLU.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
JB Umphrey and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I plan on rating you high but before I do is this costing $40 only?

Yes, that is correct.

~~ J.B.