How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Guru Your Own Question
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1366
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal-Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Friend is in jail on PV-1 violayiona for not reporting address

This answer was rated:

Friend is in jail on PV-1 violayiona for not reporting address and not making meeton wit probation officer. He was out on a sex offender conditional release. What are chances the he will be revoked?
It's likely he will have a portion of his sentence revoked. The question is how much. That depends on several factors.

Probably the biggest factor is the judge he is appearing before. Some would judges would consider this a minor violation revoking only a small amount of jail time while others would send him to prison.

Other factors include how compliant he has been with probation other than these two violations. How long he has been on probation. The seriousness of the underlying offense. The length of his probation. The probation officer's and prosecutor's recommendations.

I wish I could give you a guess as to the amount of time he will be revoked, but there are just too many variables to say with any certainty.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will having an attorney help? What would the attorney do?

Yes, he will need an attorney whether retained or a public defender. The attorney will try to negotiate with the prosecutor the least possible amount of time. If his attorney and the prosecutor cannot reach an agreement, the attorney will plead his case to the judge (i.e., any justifications he has for his violations) and possibly suggest alternatives to incarceration such as GPS monitoring.
Legal-Guru and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you