Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

the law guru told me he was wrong, but i think it was just

that he refuses to explain...
the law guru told me he was wrong, but i think it was just that he refuses to explain anything more to me,.... anyway,..... i am not sure how to ask this next question,...... maybe i wont word it right, let me try it like this,...... under what circumstances in nj can the state or court give a citizen a hard time about wanting to attend a counrt room in a county
Relist: Other.
NO ANSWER YET, BEEN WAITING A WHILE NOW
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/4/2013
Your question really is not clear, what do you mean by giving a citizen a hard time about wanting to attend a court room in NJ? Are you asking about whether or not you have a right to sit in any court room in NJ and observe the proceedings?

I think that maybe what i am asking,, but as we all knoiw,, the people that work in goivernment do not necesaarily always want that to happen,, so i am asking under what circumstances , that are legitimate, and not legitmate, would lets say a county prosecutors office prosecutor would not want a person going into a court that wukld normally be empty except for one person that wants to go,,.... something like that i think i am asking

I am not quite sure if this is what you are asking, but if I have misunderstood you, please clarify with a reply to expert. The court proceedings in NJ, with the exception of juvenile courts, are all open to the public and anyone can sit in those courts unless for some very good cause the court has closed the proceedings (which is done very rarely). Thus, unless a person is a witness in the case going on in the court and the court has ordered sequestration of witnesses or unless the person is disturbing the court proceeding, courts are open to the general public as part as the open access to justice and as such people can go sit in any court they choose to observe any proceedings they choose to observe.

If one is denied access, they can file a suit for a civil rights violation in either the state or federal courts for being denied access to a public proceeding.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

OK, SO THEN, ON FRIDAY WHEN I CALLED THE DEFENSE ATTORNEY TO GET THE NEXT HEARING DATE I WAS GIVEN THE RUN AROUND, WHEN I CALLED THE PROSECUTORS OFFICE to get the info i ws told the person could lose their job for telling me where court hearings are scheduled,...... and the monmouth county court house also gave me the run around for 2 hours of phone calls to get the date and judges room number ,........ and then after all that,..... i recieved a call from the prosecutrors office at 4:59pm friday,. stating " we understand you want to attend a court heraring, the prosecutor will give you a call on monday"

why would the prosecuotr want to call me if not to try to imtimidate me from attending?

That is not true. These cases and the court dockets are public records. In fact, anyone can go to the clerk of court's office and review the docket master, which is the court's calendar of events for a case and that would contain the next hearing date on the particular case. I have no idea, not knowing the whole story, why everyone is trying to stop you from attending court on this case, but these proceedings are open to the public and you can file a complaint with the Attorney General's office if they are denying you access to a public hearing.

right,.... but is it common policy for the monmouth county prosecutors office to deny the information to citizens,.that the secretary or whoever was on the phone could actually lose their job for giving out information that is by default public record.. and then call back and say the prosecutor will call you on monday?,.... and by the way, 11:36am and no call yet

have you ever been to a county courthouse in nj? typically they have sherifs officers guarding the doors of the court room, not allowing anyone in the court room til their name is called.

so how can the public get in?

No it is not common policy from what I have seen. The proceedings are public hearings and they can have security and make sure the court rooms are not over crowded and orderly, but they cannot deny a citizen the right to go in and observe a proceeding by law. You would have to file a complaint with the Attorney General and if they do not resolve it, you can file suit for denial of public access to a public proceeding.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer