Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

im 20 years old and my girlfriend is 16. she is pregnant with

my baby and her father...
im 20 years old and my girlfriend is 16. she is pregnant with my baby and her father has turned me in for statutory rape. if we get married will that drop the charges?
2/4/2013
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

yes

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex Esquire :

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Alex Esquire :

Have you been arrested and charged with statutory rape yet?

Customer:

no the detective called me and i went in to tell them my side

Alex Esquire :

Did you have a local criminal defense attorney present with you during interrogation by the detective?

Customer:

no

Alex Esquire :

Did you admit to having sex with the 16 year old??

Customer:

she just told me that she wanted to hear my side before she turned it in to the da

Customer:

yes i did tell them that i had sex with her

Alex Esquire :

This is extremely serious.

Alex Esquire :

There is no valid defense to statutory rape and you would be facing 2-20 years in prison upon conviction and a lifetime registry as a sex offender.

Customer:

what if we got married

Alex Esquire :

Unfortunately, even if you get married somehow to this 16 year old, it would not change the situation.

Alex Esquire :

Since you had sex with this minor child, while you were not married.

Alex Esquire :

Also, if you are convicted of the statutory rape and declared a registered sex offender, you would not be allowed near your child, when the child is born.

Alex Esquire :

The fact that you confessed or made admission to the detective makes it even worst, even though when the victim is pregnant as a result of statutory rape, it is ease to prove the crime, without the admission or other evidence, simply by conducting a paternity test.

Customer:

so what can i do

Customer:

she has been living with me and my parent sense october

Alex Esquire :

The only thing that you can do at this point is to immediately consult with a local criminal defense attorney, who is experienced in sex crime defense.

Alex Esquire :

It doesn't matter where the 16 year old had been living.

Alex Esquire :

Also, consent is not defense.

Alex Esquire :

Please understand that you are very likely will be facing major felony sex crime charges which can potentially ruin your entire life.

Alex Esquire :

I don't mean to scare you, but I would only be doing you a disservice if I try to sugar coat this or downplay the seriousness of your situation.

Alex Esquire :

At this point, you need to stop any contact with the victim and to retain an experienced local criminal attorney and not to talk to anyone about this legal issue with anyone, without your local criminal attorney being present.

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer:

i would rather you tell me the truth than to tell me everything is fine

Alex Esquire :

I am providing you with the truth and unfortunately, I can't tell you enough as to how serious this situation is.

Customer:

no i dont believe i have any other questions thank you for your help

Alex Esquire :

Do you have an experienced local criminal defense attorney in mind?

Customer:

no

Alex Esquire :

You can use these well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites to find an experienced local criminal defense in your area:

Alex Esquire :

www.martindale.com

Alex Esquire :

www.lexmundi.com

Alex Esquire :

www.justia.com

Alex Esquire :

www.lawyers.com

Alex Esquire :

Thank you and please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Customer:

thank you for your help

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law