Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Is it possible for a non violent felon (DUI) to gain back their

Customer Question

Is it possible for a non violent felon (DUI) to gain back their gun rights after 20 years.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is FiveStarLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

What state did the felony occur in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

texas

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Texas

Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your response.

Your Question - Is it possible for a non violent felon (DUI) to gain back their gun rights after 20 years.

My Answer - Yes, if you obtain an expungement of your state felony conviction

Explanation - The first step is to request a pardon from the govenor of Texas. If you are successful in obtaining a pardon you can then petition the court for an expungement. You can request a pardon through the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles. At that site you will find the forms and directions to apply for pardon.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
My screen indicates that you sent me a response however no response is visible.Do you need further assistance ?