How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16623
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i get inmate in a county jail released because of a

This answer was rated:

how do i get inmate in a county jail released because of a death in the intermediate family.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Dear Myrtle,

Was this inmate convicted and sentenced to jail?

What was the inmate convicted of and what was the sentence?

What would be the reason for a release, other than the death in the family?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

she was arrested for vop and doesn"t go to court until feb.12. her father passed away about an hour ago. i need to get her released for the funeral.

I am sorry to learn about the recent death of this inmate's father.

Was this inmate on felony probation prior to this V.O.P. charge?

Is there any bail that had been set by the judge?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes she was but she had completed inpatient treatment and was doing great. someone called and said she was doing and selling drugs out of my house. they supposely found a straw under my bathroom sink so they took her to jail for vop. i never seen the straw or anything. she begged them to drug test her but they wouldn"t do it. and for a VOP THERE IS NO BAIL.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, the only way this inmate might be able to attend the funeral under the supervision of the armed correction officer(s) is if her attorney files an emergency motion with the court for a supervised limited release to attent this inmate's father's funeral and such motion might or might not be granted by the judge and if it is granted, the inmate would have to pay for the costs of such limited release and the guard required, which can be pretty costly (I have seen it to cost $1,000 or more, for the transport and two guards for the period of 4 hours).

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what if she doesn"t have an attorney?

Thank you for your follow up.

In that case she should apply for the public defendant to represent her free of charge, but I am afraid that by the time the public defendant would be appointed to her, the funeral might be over.

I am very sorry to provide you with this tough news, but please do understand that I have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when the answer is not favorable to the customer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

would it be possible for her probation officer to do anything?

Unfortunately, once the probation officer has violated this inmates probation, it is up to the judge to make any further decisions and not the PO, so the PO would not be able to do much at this point.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

her probation officer said that he didn"T even know anything about it till we told him. i guess whoever made the phone call told them she was on probation so they were the ones who vop her.

I understand. However once the probation is violated, it will be up to the judge to decide whether this inmate's probation will be reinstated or whether this inmate will be send to prison.

The PO will be able to give his/her recommendation to the court during V.O.P. hearing, but that is about all the influence PO will have over this matter.
Alex J. Esq. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you