Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I have court on Tuesday for shoplifting at Macys. I do not

I have court on Tuesday for shoplifting at Macy's. I do not have a lawyer and am very nervous. What should I expect?

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

Is this your first offense?

Hi

Lets try it this way

If this a first offense?

What was the value of the merchandise, please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is my first offense. The value was 51 dollars and I paid the fine Macy's issued to me which came up to the amount of 251 because they charge 5 times the amount of the things stolen.
Hi

Thank you

This would be Petit Theft and is a misdemeanor class A. It carries a possible penalty of up to 1 year

I suggest since this is a first offense and you have paid the fine to Macy's that you would be given probation

If you have other questions, please post them here and I will provide you information. Otherwise, I would appreciate you taking time to rate this service "good to excellent" so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close your question. You will always be able to review it. It will only close a Chat - Thank you and good luck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was a silly mistake, what can I do have this case dismissed?
Hi

I suggest you cannot have it dismissed unless Macys is willing to have that happen.

Generally, big stores like that want some sort of criminal punishment.

Additionally, you have already paid the civil fine, which is an admission of your guilt.

I am sorry that there would be nothing to have this matter dismissed. But it may be possible that you can ask if there is a "deferred adjudication" That means, if you get probation and are successful without violation then this matter would be eligible to have it expunged from your record.