Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I have recently discovered a nude video uploaded by an ex-boyfriend

Customer Question

I have recently discovered a nude video uploaded by an ex-boyfriend on the internet, so far I have located the upload on two different web sites. The video was created for our usage only and he agreed to erase it; Instead he uploaded it to a porn website and it is now accessible for users to download and share. My questions are how do I track the video's origination and block/ seal the video. Do I have a right to sue him? How can I locate the place or device use to download the video. I currently work in a technology based company and am scared this will affect my job.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, to get that information you would have to file a civil suit against him for invasion of privacy and for commercial use of your private images and seek then to subpoena the websites for the information on where the video was uploaded from. The sites will not release the information without a subpoena and to get a subpoena you need to have a suit file. If you sue him you can also get an injunction to the websites to order them to remove the video and for him to surrender all copies.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”