Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a question in regards to online soliciting with a

Customer Question
Hi, I have a question in...
I have a question in regards ***** ***** sexual soliciting with a minor. What if the adult and the minor met over an adult chat, and both agree to chat over skype. The adult still doesn't know the age of the minor, but both agree to webcam their privates online (althopugh the adult never forced her to show her privates, only told her if she wanted to). The minor also gets the phone number of the adult. Then, the minor said she recorded the chat messages and the webcam picture and that she will report the police of my acts. She will report the adult as a pedophile, but the adult had no idea she was 16 years old. To make matters worse, she requires the adult to pay up 300 dollars or she will report the case. Overall, she set the adult up for this act. Is the minor still considered a victim and will the adult be trouble if she reports this? The adult lives in illinois and the minor lives in NJ.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/1/2013
Criminal Lawyer: LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer replied 4 years ago
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer

Hello Waqas,
My name is***** a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.
Sure sorry for your predicament, truly. My heart goes out to you.
Please believe me when I say it brings me no pleasure to share the following information with you. I didn't enact the law, and personally I often disagree with various provisions, but nevertheless here's the truth. I won't do you the disservice of lying or misleading you. So, that being said, here's the truthful way the law works in such cases.
For the adult, the range of potential charges and punishments is best described here courtesy of the United States Department of Justice:
Citizen's Guide to U.S. Federal Law on Obscenity

In the event of a criminal investigation and prosecution, this would be a case for the Federal Bureau of Investigation in cooperation with state law enforcement.
Pertaining to the child, yes the minor would still be regarded as a victim. The entirety of the laws in this regard protect the child and punish the adult.
The bot***** *****ne is that this is a gravely serious matter, without regard to any conduct whatsoever on the part of the child. The best way to protect your interests would be to confer with a local criminal defense attorney without delay and refrain from even going online until you do.
I am truly sorry.
If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.
I hope all works out for you.
Take care,
Ben, J.D.

Hello Waqas,
I notice you rated "Bad Service". I would be honored to try and do better.
What aspect of my work did you find to be bad service, please?
Many thanks!
Ben, J.D.
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer