Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was recently caught shoplifting in a Walmart just outside

of Atlanta, GA. I was...
I was recently caught shoplifting in a Walmart just outside of Atlanta, GA. I was detained for about 15 minutes total. I had taken about $36 dollars in groceries. They took my personal information, took my picture, and a police officer came, spoke NOTHING to me--he just took my ID from the LP person checked it for outstanding warrants (which i had none as this was my FIRST offense of any kind) and they let me go after signing a Georgia Uniform Traffic Citation, Summons and Accusation from the DeKalb County Police Department saying to appear in Recorder's Court in a month. The officer said NOTHING to me, no fingerprints were taken, and the LP person who stopped me, when i asked if i was banned from Walmart for life, said, "you can still shop here as long as you pay next time." All this stated, what exactly am i looking at? Do i need an private attorney? What are the long term ramifications?
1/4/2013
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

I am sorry to hear you have experienced this situation

Samuel-II :

Is this a first offense for you?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

listen, i have to run, i will check back late.....thanks for the quick response

Samuel-II :

And are you planning on pleading guilty to this?

Samuel-II :

Ok

Customer:

yes, is that the best move

Samuel-II :

I will switch to Q&A and leave it for you there.

Samuel-II :

I don't want to hold you up

Samuel-II :

You will get notification when my answer is complete.

Customer:

thanks!!

Samuel-II :

Would you want me to do that ?

Samuel-II :

Ok

Hi

We will continue here

The crime for a first offender is a misdemeanor. As such, the penalty includes up to a $1000 fine and it also has a potential jail sentence, though on a first offense, I highly doubt you will be given any jail time.

I suggest you would more than likely be given a probation that may allow you to have it removed from your record if you are successful in the completion with no other crimes in the meantime.

However, because there is a potential for jail time, I suggest you may want to at least consult with a local attorney. You do not want a situation where you go into court and get a sentence

That is your decision.

Generally, in these matters, you appear you tell the court what happened, give a reason why you did it, a fine is issued, you are given probation and community service

If you have other questions, you may reply here and I will continue to assist you. Otherwise, please rate "good to excellent" below so that I may get credit for my time and information to you in this regard. Thanks
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

does the loss prevention person appear in court? i didn't resist, i did repeatedly ask for a phone as i wasn't sure how long i was going to be detained and i was expected somewhere. also, in dire times of need, i have taken from this particular store before and was NEVER apprehended or even approached. Will ANY record they have of these past instances be brought into light? he asked if i had stolen from the store prior and i answered "no" and he didn't push it, he just went on the the next question. he did remark that i "look like a pro," but that just could have been his demeanor--as i'm sure it's not protocol to be particularly nice to people who are CLEARLY in the wrong--as i was/ am. I went into the store, grabbed some bags from a register, bagged went to the respected isles, grabbed the food i needed, and put it all in a cart and walked out the front door. That is where i was stopped. I said i needed to get my credit card from my car is all--which was true; i had my phone and credit cards in my car. I did have my ID in my billfold in my pocket and the LP man saw me get it out and said, "i thought you said you had to get your credit card?" I don't know if you need to know all the minute particulars to what happened, but i thought to get a better picture, i should reveal everything. Should i plead "guilty" as CLEARLY i am?

Hi

Yes. The Loss prevention person will be in court to testify against you

If you have prior arrests, and/or convictions yes, they will be brought out

I cannot tell you how to plead. I can only provide the information for you as to what the consequences are on a conviction.

That decision has to be your own. I am only trying to make it an informed decision

Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law