How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13752
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am bein charged of 2nd degree theft an this is the first

This answer was rated:

I am bein charged of 2nd degree theft an this is the first time I'm going to court. Is there any lawyer that is a non profit??
Thank you for your question.

You're not likely to find a private lawyer or law firm that will take on a criminal defense case pro bono (for free). When a criminal defense lawyer does so, it's normally going to be in the very large criminal cases that have gotten national attention (such as Casey Anthony).

That said, however, if you cannot afford a private attorney, at your first court appearance, you can request that you be appointed a public defender. The Office of the Public Defender in each county represents those clients in criminal matters who cannot otherwise afford a private lawyer. The Office of the Public Defender has licensed criminal defense lawyers who will represent individuals for free or very little cost.

Please let me know if you have follow-up questions or require further information. I am happy to assist you further.

RobertJDFL and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you