Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I want information on XXXXXXX who was arrested for

I want information on XXXXXX...

I want information on XXXXXX who was arrested for looking at pone on his computer about two or three months ago. He has a court date on the 15th of this mo. and I want to know what the charge was and what his sentence will be.

1/3/2013
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Thank you for your question.

There are actually multiple charges against this individual. The first two are for possession of child pornography with intent to sell or distribute it.

The third charge is for developing, duplicating, printing or exchanging child pornography.

Child porn offenses are typically prosecuted as felonies, although they can be charged as misdemeanors. Misdemeanor California child pornography sentences can include jail sentences of up to one year and fines of up to $2,500. Felony sentences can include California State Prison sentences between sixteen months and eight years with fines of up to $100,000. He would also be required, if convicted, to register as a sex offender for life.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or require further assistance. I am happy to help.
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

I was told he only had one charge against him...he has a court date on the 15th of this mo. and also one on the 8th of Feb. his Lawyer is asking for three mo. do you have any information on this ???

Sarah McGeachy (Mother)

haven,t received an answer to my question yesterday...still waiting!!

Sarah McGeachy

I apologize for not replying back to you sooner. I have been out of town traveling with my job and not been online.

Due to privacy reasons, this site blocks names of people. I don't know why it didn't do it at first, but now I cannot see the defendant's name, it just shows up as "XXXXXXXX" on my screen.

If you can reply with the name of the individual again -- I suggest typing it spaced out, like this J O H N S M I T H so that the system doesn't block it out again --- and the county where he was charged, I'll see if I can pull up the court file and what it currently says. By the way, court files are public record. Assuming the county keeps their records online (and most do, especially if they are a larger county), any person can go on the court website and look up the records of any defendant.

What I can tell you is this -- a person can be arrested and booked on one or more counts, but then when a prosecutor reviews the file, since they make the final decision as to what to charge them with, they may add or drop charges. So, it's possible he was arrested on 3 charges, but is only being charged with one.

I'm not sure what you mean by his lawyer is asking for 3 months. Do you mean his lawyer is trying to negotiate a plea for a 3 month sentence? There would be no way for me to know that, unfortunately, since plea negotiations are not put into the public record. Only if a plea agreement is reached and a defendant is sentenced would then something show up in the file.

I await your reply on the defendant's name and the county in California in which they were charged.

Thanks for the information...the name is

J E R R O L D M C G E A C H Y and the county is SAN DIEGO CALIFORNIA his court date is

or tomorrow the 15th of

January but I heard that they have another one for the 8th of February, Feb. is the third court date he has had, why is that??

Sarah McGeachy

Thank you for your reply.

I found the case listing, which you can see here, but unfortunately, none of the file has been indexed/uploaded online (at least not yet), so there is nothing for me to look at. Therefore, I have no way of knowing when his next court date is or why he would have had multiple court dates scheduled.

According to the court website, the file is located at:

North County Regional Center
Business Office/Records
324 South Melrose
Vista, CA 92081
760-201-8600

As I said, the files are public record, so anyone can go look at them. I don't know if you live close by and that's an option. If not, you may want to call them and have them pull up the file, perhaps they can tell you when his next court date is scheduled and what the court hearing is for.
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Hi Robert,

I just sent you mail but some way lost it, so I am sending it again and hope you get it this time..J E R R O L D M C G E A C H Y .. He just had another court hearing (his second) and will have a third one on the 20th of Feb. His lawyer is trying to find him a job in San Diego, CA. He is an appliance repair man and has worked doing this since he was 18 yrs. old. His lawyer said he will probably be able to stay in a halfway house as long as his sentence is. If this is going to happen does this mean that he has only one count against him? It sounds to me some of the like some of the charges at the start of his arrest has been dropped...what do you think??

Sarah McGeachy

Hi, did you not get my earlier reply back to you the other day? It apears the court file is not online, for some reason. Here's what I wrote the other day:

North County Regional Center
Business Office/Records
324 South Melrose
Vista, CA 92081
760-201-8600

As I believe we discussed, the files are public record, so anyone can go look at them. I don't know if you live close by and that's an option. If not, you may want to call them and have them pull up the file, perhaps they can tell you when his next court date is scheduled and what the court hearing is for.

In answer to your question today, if they are talking about a halfway house, this sounds like they are talking about him taking a plea? And, it's very possible that there is only one charge. There could be a couple reasons for that - perhaps the prosecutor felt like although the police arrested him on multiple charges, there was no evidence to support that. Or, it may be that his lawyer was able to negotiate a plea where he pleads to one charge, and the prosecutor drops the other charge(s) in exchange --that happens a lot.

If a plea is reached, then it still has to be approved by the judge, but normally that is a formality - if both the prosecutor and defense agree, usually the judge goes along with it.
RobertJDFL, Lawyer