Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

Can you press charges against someone for sending you threatening

Can you press charges against someone for sending you threatening emails from another state? If so, what are the charges and how long is the statue of limitations to file your complaint?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Yes, you can. North Carolina Gen. Stat.,Section 14-196 specifically prohibits telephone harassment directed at the state, defines "telephone communication" to include any communication involving a modem, and includes a variety of conduct that serves only to annoy or alarm someone and serves no legitimate purpose. That means that you can file a report, even if the other person is not located in North Carolina.
The statute of limitations resets with each communication, because this is an ongoing pattern of behavior. The statute of limitations for a misdemeanor is two years from the last contact.
If you have any questions at all about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service at 3-5 faces/stars so that I get credit for helping you today. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sending threatening and harrassing emails are a misdemeanor? What is the penalty for a misdemeanor?

If the person is in another state, will they have to come to NC or will they be arrested in their home state?

The North Carolina police can ask the police in the other state to work with them in arresting the person and transporting them to North Carolina.
This is a Class 2 misdemeanor. The punishment may vary, based on the person's criminal record, but the maximum for a first offense would be 30 days imprisonment, plus fines.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do i print the emails and take them to my local police station? or do i go the the court house?

For criminal charges, the starting point is to file a police report. Some places may allow you to file over the phone and forward the emails (saving the originals for later), so you may be able to save some time and call them.