How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118788
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you sue a police department under USC 1983 for taking you

This answer was rated:

Can you sue a police department under USC 1983 for taking you to court on insufficient cause?

An officer perjured a police report and took me to court forcing me to defend myself and spend money driving up from out of state. I have complaints already filed with the internal affairs and FBI against this officer for excessive use of force and perjury but I missed the 180 days to file a tort from the date of my arrest since my bench trial had been moved past that date due to a motion to continue and an error in a second court date due to the courts error. I was wondering if their was a way to get financial relief for my time and money spent in defense of the absurd charges. Since I missed the statute of limitations for filing a tort against that officer for excessive use of force from the date of the arrest I was wondering if I can file a tort for damages from the time of the bench trial for relief based on the trial hearing period. Thanks
Yes, if you suffered damage from the loss of liberty resulting from an officer acting improperly under the color of law and committing perjury, in addition to suing for false arrest and malicious prosecution, you can sue for a civil rights violation under 1983. If you missed the statute of limitations for the excessive force claim, you could still bring the other claims for the false arrest, malicious prosecution and the 1983 civil suit.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I had a quick question of clarification concerning your response to my original question. You say that I can still bring claims of false arrest, malicious prosecution in addition to a 1983 civil suit. I was under the impression that complaints against an officer acting under color of law, such as false arrest and malicious prosecution were filed under USC 1983. Are you saying that there is a way to file those charges separately from a 1983? Also, since the statute of limitations for my charge of excessive use of force has passed (in AZ it is 180 days and my arrest was in mid-June) then a charge of false arrest would also be past the statute of limitations from that same date, correct? So I would only be dealing with malicious prosecution?


EDIT: re-read your response and noticed that you might not have been referring to false arrest as a charge but that I can bring claims of malicious prosecution and 1983 for the false arrest. Sorry, the way you wrote it that was unclear. At any rate, still would like clarification, are malicious prosecution and 1983 different things or would I file a malicious prosecution under 1983?

You can bring them both under 1983 and under the federal court's right for concurrent jurisdiction to hear th state law torts of malicious prosecution. Those are additional ways of saying the same thing. The false arrest and excessive force are the reason for the 1983, sorry for not being clearer. Malicious prosecution is in addition to the 1983.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you