How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In wisconsin, you only lose your drivers license if you get

This answer was rated:

In wisconsin, you only lose your driver's license if you get 12 points in one year. I have come close to 12 points many many years. I got a letter stating that I can still lose my license for being a frequent offender. I am unfamiliar with this law. I need an explanation of exactly what this entails. I currently have 7 points will be paying another 4 point ticket that will bring me up to 11 points. I need to know if this last ticket could cause me to lose my license as a "frequent offender".
Under WI law, I am afraid that accumulation of 12 points in 12 months is not the only way to have your license suspended. Under WI Statute Chapter 346 if you obtain 12 or more points in 12 months; or four or more major violations committed in or out of state within a five year period; or a combination of 12 major and minor violations and convictions within 5 years your license privilege to operate any motor vehicle in Wisconsin is revoked for five years automatically. Thus, WI looks not only at points in one year, but at number of convictions within a 5 year period to determine your habitual traffic offender status and if you have had 12 convictions within 5 years, then they can suspend your license for 5 years and you would have to wait at least 2 years before you could apply for an occupational or limited drivers license. Your only chance if this happens would be an appeal to the circuit court to argue why your license should not be suspended for being a habitual offender, but the court in your county of residence may only order reinstatement if they find there has been an error in the number of convictions within the 5 year period. See: WI Habitual Traffic Offender.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you