How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117367
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my relative be charged with summary harassment for this

This answer was rated:

Can my relative be charged with summary harassment for this in Pennslyvania?

One of my relatives is being taken to district court by a neighbor who filed a private criminal complaint against him. Her list of complaints lists several things listed. One of the things the neighbor wrote against him was that she was tearing overgrown branches from one of his trees. In her complaint sheet, she says that he grabbed her by the wrists when she was doing so and made her leave. My relative told me that was grossly exaggerated. He told me his neighbor was trying to tear an entire tree branch down, even what wasn’t overgrown. He said he told the woman to beat it and she got scared and left. There was nobody else at the scene and the neighbor did not even file a police report about it until the following day. The timing of the police report makes her story harder to believe, since people would normally call the police right away if something like what she said happened. Can my relative be charged with summary harassment for telling the neighbor to back off or no? What should he say to discredit the neighbor during the summary trial?
Summary offense harassment is the most minor form of violation in PA, since he could have been charged with assault if he grabbed her over the tree. Your relative needs to bring in witnesses as to her conduct, even though there may not have been any witnesses to this particular incident if there are witnesses to her conduct in general. Also, this is going to be her word against his word and if there are no bruises or marks there is no way to prove what she is saying for the judge to decide which party is telling the truth.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that info along to him about the witness(es) he needs. He said she had no marks because it didn't even go as far as she is saying it did (with him grabbing her). But is that particular incident, with him telling her to leave, enough for the neighbor to get a summary harassment charge against him?

Without more evidence than him telling her to leave his property and stop destroying his property, no it is not likely they can convict him for just that alone, no. He has to bring in evidence to show the damage she was trying to do to the tree, photographs or video showing what she did.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you