How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Should I sue the Sheriffs Dept for their Actions?

This answer was rated:

I was wrongfully arrested/ falsely imprisoned on January 25, 2012. I spent 15 days in jail in Douglas County Nevada before all charges against me were dismissed and I was released. During my arrest my 13 month old child was taken from me and given to my neighbor and was forced to spend those 15 days with my no parental care whatsoever, my child now suffers greatly. I was only a web designer for a previous girlfriend of mine, which was later discovered by law enforcement, and is ultimately why all charges against me were dismissed. I received numerous apologies from several different law enforcement agencies, claiming that they made a mistake and were sorry they did not do more in depth investigation before the arrest took place. I am now haunted by what continues to leak around the internet and from what friends and my family believe is the truth by seeing the details all over the internet.


You may research the details of my arrest by viewing this link:



You may also view additional details:


My name is Ben. I'm a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for the painful circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.

There is a particular federal statute, namely 42 U.S.C. § 1983, which provides a remedy for those wrongfully deprived of civil liberties by one acting under color of law, such as a police officer. Having carefully read and considered everything you posted, here is what I would recommend based on the information you have shared. I would have the case screened on the merits by a plaintiffs' trial attorney. If an attorney accepts the case pursuant to the customary contingency fee agreement there would be no up-front charges to you. Rather, your legal counsel would only get paid out of the proceeds of a verdict or settlement if he or she were successful in obtaining a favorable outcome and winning the case on your behalf. This can only be done through having a lawyer review your circumstances, meaning it cannot be done in this online informational venue. In other words, you have done all you can do, your next step at this juncture is to confer with legal counsel, but the good news is that process is entirely free of charge to you.

I can only imagine what a stressful and trying time this is for you, so please believe me I mean it when I say I am glad to say there is a way to seek justice without having the burden of trying to pay attorneys' fees . To help folks in this online venue, I am required to follow site rules including refraining from accepting cases and/or making direct referrals to named attorneys. However, I can tell you where I would turn were I in your very shoes. Toward that end, my very next step would be to take advantage of the resources of the non-profit, American Bar Association accredited, National Board of Trial Advocacy Division of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification. Here is a listing of all such Board Certified Civil Trial Advocates practicing in the applicable jurisdiction (please just click the following link):


Without competent legal counsel, I don't believe you will get anywhere at all. I wish the system was friendlier, and I hate to offer that opinion, but I just feel you deserve to hear the truth rather than being misled.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I hope all works out for you and your family.

LawHelpNow and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.