How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34759
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 1981 I plead guilty to a felony under a plea agreement with

This answer was rated:

In 1981 I plead guilty to a felony under a plea agreement with the Federal goverment if I would comply with an investigation of two different things. I did comply with their request and was promised they would either drop the case against me or ask the judge to dismiss the case when I went for sentencing. The DA did neither, nor did my lawyer speak up on my behalf. It was clear that if I were to receive the promises made by the goverment to me and my attorney I will have to speak up myself, as I did do and it was not received by the judge as me being cooperative. After thinking about this all these years I realize the I was not treated fairly nor represented properly. This was a white collar crime involving goverment loans and I was sentenced to 5 months and 29 days in a federal camp, not prison. Is there anyway I can file some sort of motion to have this overturned? I am retired now and would like this cleared up if possible. Can you help?
Thanks for the chance to assist on this matter. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience in criminal law.

I am sorry to have to bear bad news. Under federal law you have 30 days to file a motion with the court to challenge the verdict/sentence.

So if this happened in 1981, it is too late for a motion.

And federal law does not offer "expungement" or sealing of records.

The only thing available to you, based on what you describe, would be a pardon from the President.

Under federal law, the President has the power to commute (make a punishment less severe) or fully pardon (make the conviction go away)

You can start the process to apply for a pardon here

You meet the 5 year waiting you are eligible to apply.

Not easy to accomplish...but historically Presidents DO grant pardons, typically for meritorious cases. That is, cases where there is a conviction but the facts suggest that the conviction was unjust.

So this is certainly something you can pursue

You would do well to have an attorney with experience in filing them help you

P. Simmons and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you