How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118110
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was told that the police could reopen a case in which "a

This answer was rated:

I was told that the police could reopen a case in which "a suspect" did not take offered money or what is considered offered money. Additionally, there was a trial in the case and people were sent to jail. When a case is reopened the police are allowed create a false crime tie it back the the case that went to trial and offer the suspect money a second time "put the money in his hands" in order to make an arrest. Is this legal?
I am sorry, but your fact pattern is very confusing here. The police can reopen an investigation if there is new evidence as grounds to open the investigation again. If people have already been convicted in the case, then the case is generally considered closed without some new evidence showing there was either a defendant who may have been missed or that the people convicted were innocent. It is illegal for the police to create a false crime and they cannot do this legally.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 7 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In this situation, is the reopened case considered a new case?

Yes, this would be considered a completely new case if they are still trying to get someone they missed in the first case. However, they still cannot make false claims against the person to try to arrest them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How strong does the evidence have be to reopen an old case? Can it be just on the word on an individual?

There needs to be more than the word of the individual, there needs to be some type of actual evidence corroborating (supporting) the statement of the individual.