How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34039
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my daughter is 20 years old and a very good student was traveling

Customer Question

my daughter is 20 years old and a very good student was traveling with a group of friends in the back seat. The cops stopped the car and gave a breadth analyzer and found my daughter to have alcohol and then out of fear she gave a wrong name. She has two tickets, under age drinking and secondly lying to an officer. My daughter is a premed student and she is completly distraught that this will hurt her chances of entering medical school. CAn you tell me what the legal implications are and how this can be removed from her records. Can you help me and also recommend an attorney in west lafeyette to help my daughter and me in this situation?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am LawGuy and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

What is the statute number on the citation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My daughter tells me that she has an Indiana code number. Is there any other number?

Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
The Indiana code is the number I am asking about. Do you have it handy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Did you get the number? I do not want this to be public please

Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
Not the citation number, the statute violated is what I am looking for.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

minor consumption of alcohol and false informing

Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
This is the statute for underage drinking in Indiana:

Indiana Code 7.1-5-7-7

Illegal possession

Sec. 7. (a) It is a Class C misdemeanor for a minor to knowingly:
(1) possess an alcoholic beverage;
(2) consume it; or
(3) transport it on a public highway when not accompanied by at least one (1) of his parents or guardians.
(b) If a minor is found to have violated subsection (a) while operating a motor vehicle, the court may order the minor's driver's license suspended for up to one (1) year. However, if the minor is less than eighteen (18) years of age, the court shall order the minor's driver's license suspended for at least sixty (60) days.
(c) The court shall deliver any order suspending the minor's driver's license under this section to the bureau of motor vehicles, which shall suspend the minor's driver's license under IC 9-24-18-12 for the period ordered by the court.

A Class C Misdemeanor is punishable by up to 60 days in jail and up to a $500 fine.

The false information is also a Class C misdemeanor.

Assuming her record is otherwise clean, she should not have a problem with a deferred adjudication. That would keep the violation off her record as a conviction.

As always, refer to local counsel to protect your daughter's rights before taking any action. D not let her go to court without representation.

See the following link:

I hope this is helpful.