Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

They filed charges of theft for overpayment of unemployment

benefits I just found out...
They filed charges of theft for overpayment of unemployment benefits I just found out it was filed in 2007. Is there a statue of limitations on that?
12/2/2012
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Hello again,

Do you mean that the criminal case has been open since 2007 and nothing has happened? Or that you got the benefits in 2007?

The criminal case has been open since 2007 and appearently it has been a warrant issued from that date. Never been in touble so just did a backgroud check and it was discovered.

Thank you for clarifying.

The statute of limitations only dictates how much time the state has before filing charges. Once charges are filed, the statute of limitations stops running and is not a defense. A warrant never expires. The case would only go away if the person who was accused went in to face and defend the charges.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer