How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31769
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Myself and my girlfriend got in a fight and pa state police

This answer was rated:

Myself and my girlfriend got in a fight and pa state police came and gave me a harrasment charge. but can they make my 16year old daughter and her 11 year old daughter give a written statement without my permission or concent or can they be supeod to testify in District Justice court

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.


The state police cannot FORCE the children to give a written or oral statement, but if the children do so voluntarily, then that is legal. Also, you don't have to give the state police or the children permission before a statement is given/taken.


Under Pennsylvania law, law enforcement officers can interview, take statements, etc. without parental consent.


Also, the children could be subpoenaed to appear in court and provide testimony regarding the incident.


The only time Pennsylvania law require a parent/guardian to be contacted is if the child is detained or arrested.

Roger and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you