How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4502
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I was convicted of a felony for sales of marijuana in

This answer was rated:

Hello I was convicted of a felony for sales of marijuana in 1977 in Kansas. The story goes like this I had a guy ask me to get him some pot. I told him I could not but I had a joint he could have. I knew him and did not think anything about it. Told him he could just have it but he said no and through a dollar on the table and walked out the door. Three hours later the police broke down my door and arrested me for sales of pot. Come to fine out he was in trouble for contributing alcohol to a minor and police made deal with him to get me to sale him some pot he would he would get off. I was mixed with the wrong crowd but was not selling even thou police thought I was. Anyway being young and back then it was just getting to be a big deal with people using drugs. Anyway I have not been in any kind of trouble since not a ticket. I was told by my lawyer then that since I was under 21 that it would not be on my adult record. While I tried to by a gun yesterday and was denied because of having a record. My question is there a way to get around this so I can own a gun and get my CCW?

It is possible that the conviction appears on your adult record if you were over 18 at the time of the incident. Because it has been so long since your conviction, you are likely eligible to have the conviction expunged from your record. Because the conviction was in Kansas, however, the expungement has to be done through their court system. Section (e) of the law outlines the requirements for an expungement petition:

However, you may be able to contact the court at which your case was heard and speak to the clerk of court to request a preprinted expungement form. Many courts use these so you don't have to reinvent the wheel by creating a petition from scratch. Given the amount of time that has passed and your age, and the fact that you don't even live in the state any more, such a petition would likely be granted. This would remove the charge from your record and should also remove any disabilities caused by having the conviction on record.
Hammer O'Justice and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This petition is something I can file with out a Lawyer?

You don't need a lawyer usually. The questions are fairly standard about your personal information and the case.