How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27715
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has been charged with Cal PC 490.5. (petty theft) This

This answer was rated:

My son has been charged with Cal PC 490.5. (petty theft) This is his first and only arrest. Can he receive diversion?
Hello Jacustomer,

Even though he can probably receive diversion by asking for it at his first arraignment, it is best for your son to have a lawyer. Criminal matters can have lifetime consequences, and a lawyer will protect his rights and inform him of all of his options, not just the possibility of diversion, which may or may not be the best way to resolve his case.. Additionally, many DA's do not like negotiating with unrepresented defendants.

He can
Zoey_ JD and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you