How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33407
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello again. I would like for you to answer another question

This answer was rated:

Hello again. I would like for you to answer another question for me. If a case has not gone to trial yet and someone has put statements from the police department on facebook for everyone to read what can be done about this? Will this be grounds for the case to be dismissed? Theses statements were not release to the public or newspaper. What can be done about this and the person who released the statements? This person is not involved in the case who posted the statements? Don't know how they got them.
Are you looking for a specific expert or just any of that would like to assist?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What more do you need? What is the answer?

There is likely nothing the court can do about the person who put the remarks on Facebook if they are not a part of the case since they would not be in violation of any duties or responsibilities.

If the police or the prosecution gave the items to the person and were somehow involved in having them post the items then it is different.

Just the fact that they were posted on Facebook is not going to get the case dismissed. If it has somehow "tainted" the jury pool then you could get your case moved to a different area. If the DA or the police were involved in the posting then the court might be willing to consider a dismissal.

You could also subpoena the person to court and ask them how they got the statements and why they posted them.

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.
Dwayne B. and 8 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you