Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Is a polyhgraph test ever used to determine whether charges…

Is a polyhgraph test ever...
Is a polyhgraph test ever used to determine whether charges should be filed, specifically in allegations of sexual molestation?
11/9/2012
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Dear JACUSTOMER - As a criminal defense lawyer I can tell you that I would never agree to have a client of mine take a polygraph without first conducting a private test to be certain my client can pass. No one can be forced to take a polygraph or to talk to anyone so it depend on whether the person accused of the crime has an attorney and whether the attorney can arrange a private test at the defendant's own cost to see if the defendant can pass. Then, if the defendant passes the defense attorney can make an agreement with the prosecutor for the defendant to take the test and that if the defendant passes the prosecutor will agree to drop the charges. It's always a risk taking a polygraph and generally I do not recommend putting one's destiny in a machine but to answer your question as to whether polygraphs are ever used I can say that they are in very limited situations.
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer