Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I just finished mandatory courses required by Texas Real Estate…

I just finished mandatory courses...
I just finished mandatory courses required by Texas Real Estate Comission and while applying to take the state exam, a question is asking me if i have any pending criminal charges on me. On June 9th, 2011, the Department of Public Safety picked me up with a warrant stating that I performed a illegal vehicle inspection which I do not recall. I was bailed out and court date is finally one week, November 16th 2012 to be exact. Will this charge affect me in obtaining a Real Estate Salesperson license in Texas? My attorney doesn't know and wants me to find out. My attorney also advised me that he can dismiss the case with either deferring it (Pleading guilty, then it gets dismissed) or be placed on probation (Never plead guilty, serve probation, then gets dismissed) What is my best optiion?
11/9/2012
DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Yes, unfortunately the charge will affect you in obtaining a license by delaying the issuance of your license pending the disposition of the charges. Between the two options, being placed on probation is preferred as it does not entail a finding of guilt such that you will never have to confirm guilt. It is critical that you understand these options thoroughly as generally a deferred adjudication comes with probation before judgment, not pleading guilty then the case being dismissed. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer

My attorney advised me that either will result in the case being dismissed. What is my best option? I do not want this to be in my record.

If there is a judgment of guilty against you, how is it that your case would be dismissed. I believe there may be a misunderstanding. Your best option is deferred adjudication, if you plead guilty and that plea is accepted and entered it would go on your record.

The charge is called Tampering with government records. It is a misdemeanor class a. Will I even be able to obtain the license at all with either option?

The charge is called Tampering with government records. It is classified as a misdemeanor class a. Will I be able to obtain a real estate sales person licence at all?

Relist: Incomplete answer.
Yes, you can obtain a license with the misdemeanor. For your reference, see http://recenter.tamu.edu/pdf/1149.pdf You will likely have to go through an extensive character review however.

Thank you for your assistance. I hope you enjoy the rest of your day. I am satisfied with your answers sir.

Thank you Adrian, you have a good evening as well.